The 2013 Printmaking Residency was in session from June 5th, 2013 through December 15th, 2013. This year’s culminating Printmaking Residency Exhibition will open January 10th, 2014.
The GSS Printmaking Residency Program offers three artists six months of unlimited access to the GSS printmaking studio. The studio is equipped with intaglio, lithography, relief and silkscreen facilities, including all related photo-based processes and large format digital printing.
The residency culminates with an exhibition curated and organized by the current year residents. The exhibition is completely of the residents’ collaborative design, but may feature a selection of residents’ works produced at The Gowanus Studio Space in conjunction with recent work from their greater network of printmakers.
In keeping with the GSS mission to facilitate production and encourage cross-disciplinary exchange, the GSS Printmaking Residency aims to bring accomplished artists and dedicated printmakers into the community with fellow GSS members, fostering experimental collaboration within the community.
Applications for the next residency are due BY MIDNIGHT May 16th, 2014.
- The 2014 Printmaking Residency will run from June 15th, 2014 to December 15th, 2014.
- Print Residents are granted 24-hour access to the GSS print shop during those six months.
- Print Residents are awarded discounted rates to all GSS printmaking workshops during their residency.
- In addition to use of the studio’s equipment and supplies, each Print Resident is granted a materials stipend of $100.
- Print Residents should expect to spend at least 10 hours per week at the studio for the duration of the residency.
- Print Residents can not be in another residency program or enrolled in school during the residency period.
- Each Print Resident will be asked to donate one (1) or more print(s) to the GSS Collection.
- Upon completing the program, Residents will be offered permanent membership to The Gowanus Studio Space (including regular monthly fees, but waiving the $300 initial membership fee).
- Print Residents are responsible for organizing and curating the mid-January 2015 print exhibition at GSS, with administrative support from GSS.
There is no application fee. Applications may only be submitted online, and must include the following:
- Completed Online Application Form
- Statement of Purpose
- Outline why the GSS Print Shop is your desired working environment, and describe the work you plan to make during this residency. (250 words or less) (via online application form)
- Image List (via online application form)
- Resumé (via email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 8 Images of print-related work completed within the past 3 years. (via email email@example.com)
- Images should be in jpg format, 72dpi and approximately 1280px in the longer dimension.
- Image filenames must contain the last name of the applicant (smith1.jpg)
- Images must be submitted separately from the Online Application Form as email attachments.
- RESUME should be emailed along with images as a .pdf
- SEND ALL 8 IMAGES AND RESUME TO RESIDENCY@GOWANUSSTUDIO.ORG
- Image list should be submitted via the Online Application Form (see form instructions).
- Be sure to choose which semester you would like: 2 months or 4 months.
- APPLICATIONS ARE DUE by MIDNIGHT MAY 15th, 2013.
- All applicants will be notified by email the week of May 24th, 2013.
- PREVIOUS RESIDENTS
- Ann Agee, 2013
- Saul Chernick, 2013
- Zefrey Throwell, 2013
- Bill Abdale, 2012
- Hannah Bigeleisen, 2012
- Carl Ferrero, 2012
- Katie Merz, 2012
- Jennifer Schmidt, 2012
- Jennifer Waverek, 2012
- Yunmee Kyong, 2011
- Michelle Levy, 2011
- Jomar Statkun, 2011
- Johee Kim, 2010
- Rachele Ostrow, 2010
- Maggie Wright, 2010