The Gowanus Studio Space offers a printshop that is fully equipped for all Etching, Woodblock, and Silkscreen techniques. Contemporary artists and designers use this workspace, which has 14-foot ceilings, concrete floors and is filled with natural sunlight, to create new artwork and advance their careers in printmaking.
The printshop features a Dickerson Combo press, a vacuum table for Silkscreen, a darkroom for shooting screens, and a 32 x 39 inch vacuum exposure unit for Silkscreen. (A complete list of equipment and supplies that the printshop offers its members can be found below.)
EQUIPMENT PROVIDED BY STUDIO
- Drying racks and homasote
- Dickerson Combo press (27×40-inch)
- Silkscreen vacuum table
- Silkscreen vacuum exposure unit (32″ x 39″)
- Stainless steel graining sink with hose (48″ x 28″)
- Espon 9800 printer for printing Silkscreen positives (see below)
- Aquatint box (21″ x 30″)
- Hot plate (18″ x 24″)
- Work table (32″ x 66″) and additional counter space
SUPPLIES/MATERIALS PROVIDED BY STUDIO:
- ferric chloride
- emulsion and reclaimer
- graining grits
- cleaning supplies
- processing materials
- ink modifiers-varnishers, plate oils, magnesium carbonate
- miscellaneous tools (including files, ink knives, drawing materials**)
*Generally speaking, you should plan to bring your own tools, screens, plates, paper, and inks.
**It is highly recommended that you bring your own.
EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES THAT CAN BE BOUGHT/RENTED AT STUDIO:
- Flat files can be rented out for $20/mo.
- Cabinet space can be rented out for $20/mo.
- Positive printing (see below)
SUPPLIES TO BE BROUGHT BY MEMBERS:
- litho stones
- paper towels
- printing paper
- registration pins
- foil/wax paper
- contact paper
- razor blades
- drawing materials and tools
- inks (special inks are not available in cabinets)
Members of the Gowanus Studio Space (as well as nonmembers) can print Silkscreen positives using our Epson 9800 printer for a low cost:
- If both sides of the positive are under 24 inches: $0.75 an inch on the shorter side
- If either side of the positive is over 24 inches: $0.75 an inch on the longer side
- For example, a 24 x 36 inch positive would cost $27.
Have any questions, needs, suggestions, or comments? Email us at email@example.com and give us your feedback!
We’re always considering donations of equipment! As a fiscally sponsored non profit organization, The Gowanus Studio Space can make a home for your in-kind donations, and you can receive a tax deduction for the declared value of the equipment. Thank you so much!